Saturday, April 4, 2009

Of Farewell Lunches...Part 1

Well, for all those of you who did not know till now, I am a self confessed foodaholic and nothing, I repeat nothing, gives me the kind of high that good food gives. Those of you who have seen me in person and have had that rare chance to eat out with me will more than agree...
And today I am feeling bored and lazy and hungry and the only thing that I can think about is the series of lunches that we had which served as farewell to B and R. The occassion was definitely not worth celebrating because we were losing B and R to another branch of our office, but if I look at the "eating" part in isolation, let me tell you, the food was worth another round of celebration!
So, here I go giving out my opinion on the buffet spreads of some of the better hotels in the city and considering the fact that I am a foodaholic, I would request you to take my opinion with a pinch of salt because I cannot be over analytical and over critical when it comes to matters of the stomach ;-)
The first session that we had was at the Bubble Cafe, Coffee Shop at the Gateway Hotels, Marine Drive, Ernakulam. I had fallen for the food at the Taj Group ever since I started auditing those hotels 8 years ago. The sheer variety of food on offer and the authenticity with which the various kinds of cuisine is cooked and presented makes your mouth water. For the average Indian, there can not be a bigger luxury than eating at the Taj and the hotel leaves no stone unturned in making you feel like a king. At 500 bucks plus tax, the lavish buffet comprises of 2 welcome drinks, 2 soups, a chaat counter, a salad bar, an Indian bread corner, 3 starters, 4 of the rice/ noodles variety, half a dozen non- vegetarian dishes and at least a dozen vegetarian dishes with curd vada, pickle, fried stuff and many many more to go with the main course. The 3 hour window (12 noon to 3 PM) might not be sufficient for a lover of food and the fact that I had skipped breakfast (I always try to make most of the occassion, you know!) helped me gobble down quite a bit! And listen, I have not even started talking desserts yet- ice creams, cakes, tarts, pastries, fresh cut fruits, payasams and Indian sweets- the very arrangement of the dessert table makes you go weak on your knees...add to it the decor- the wide glass panes all around you and even on top, the huge umbrella that protects you from sunshine, the friendly butlers who make sure you enjoy your meal and the privacy that each group gets thanks to the excellent layout of the dining area just adds to the pleasure of eating at the Bubble Cafe!
It is not possible to describe in words how much I enjoyed this lunch and how full I was at the end of it all. I could not eat dinner that night or breakfast the next day morning. And who paid the bill? ha ha, not me, sillies. It was S of the opposite sex who graciously paid the bill- she was treating us for having been the proud owner of a brand new i10 and also for having pocketed a good sum of bonus for her exemplary performance at work! It was also her way of saying good bye to B and R and as for me, well like I always say, I was and still am plain lucky to be part of this group!
Wanna read more on food, go to part 2 :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment