Sunday, April 12, 2009

Fun n Flirty @ 30!

That was the caption on a coffee mug that attracted me during my last trip to Halifax, Canada. I was holding it and thinking who should I gift it to and that is when I struck me that I am so very close to turning 30!
I was never very happy about celebrating birthdays because the very thought of getting old used to make me feel irritated. I never used to understand the reason why people could be so happy about turning another year older! I used to keep my birthday to myself and never used to have any special happiness or feeling for that day.
But, things are different this time around. Come September and I will hit 30! I dont know whether it holds true to all but I have always felt that 30 is the age when people really step into adulthood. In India, you are old enough to vote or hold a driving license when you are 18 and a boy (I am not using man here purposefully!) is old enough to get married when he turns 21 but till the time you hit 30, I dont see people taking you very seriously. You might have a profound opinion on something really serious and important and when you express it, others will go- That's ok, you don't understand, you are such a kiddo! I have experienced that many a times and probably, thats the reason why I am excited about turning 30!
Besides 30's are normally the time you settle down with life (not really marriage!) and career, you would have completed that roller coaster ride of studies and higher studies, changed at least 4- 5 jobs to settle down in something you feel you are comfortable with and would have slowly started taking stock of life and try to understand what is it that needs to be done as you move ahead to make life interesting in your 30's. For some, it will be getting married, having kids, building a house and making it your own home, upgrading you car, taking care of your health, start jogging, gymming etc, start to learn something new- the decisions could differ from person to person.
I am also looking at what to do next considering the fact that life has been pretty steady for the past 4 years or so- the only new thing that has happened to me during this period is that I started blogging. I feel this is a good phase to bring about some change in life and I want to start that by celebrating my 30th birthday at a place that I have not visited so far...Right now, I am thinking Banaras along with a few of my school friends but September hote, hote, it could change. But I am really hoping I am able to do this...celebrate my 30th Birthday in style, the way I want it...
I have also lined up a few more things- learn to drive a 4 wheeler and take a driving license, hit the gym and start working out, learn a new language or enroll for some new course, migrate to a new city...I have not yet decided when to start with each of this but I hope I am able to finish the first one in 2009 itself- 30 is high time one acquired a driving license and learnt to drive a car properly, what say, folks?
PS: I did not pick up that coffee mug finally. So if any of you want to gift me something on my birthday, you know what, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment