Sunday, April 5, 2009

Last one on food for a very long time...

Ma and sis were off to Chattisgarh for almost 10 days and I was home alone for a week :-) Being all alone at home is fun of another kind when you see things happening around you the way you and only you want them to. No questions asked, you get up when you want to, bathe when you want to, eat when and what you want to and do whatever you want to. It is a very strange sense of freedom that being home alone brings with. I would not say I would like to continue being home alone eternally and as if the almighty knew this, my cousin who had also been to Chattisgarh was back 3 days earlier than scheduled.
If you think I am the greatest foodie to have walked the earth, you ought to meet my cousin, V. A 3rd year student of Electronics and Electrical Engineering, he achieves a very strange kind of high at the very sight of food! Do we need more reasons to bond with each other well?
It was a lazy Saturday morning and both of us got up really late. We decided that we were gonna skip breakfast and head to Jharokha at Hotel WyteFort, Maradu for a sumptous buffet lunch. The fact that my sister had been to the restaurant with her friend and had always good things to say about the place contributed significantly to our decision to select this one over the others.
It was my first visit to the restaurant in the last 7- odd years and after the change in management, I had not heard very good things about the place. I stepped in without much expectations and realized that there was not much change to the ambience! We comforted ourselves into a small table and were looking forward to start our marathon eating session. Both of us were so hungry that we could hear weird sounds from inside our tummies!
Hot and fresh Mushroom soups were served and we drank the portion as if we were drinking manna :-) The main course comprised of rotis and naans as well as freshly made kerala porottas. Boiled and seasoned Tapioca, Vegetable Manchurian, Dal Fry, Kadai Vegetable are some of the items that I still remember to have gobbled up. The Noodles was not very good but that was kinda compensated by the yummy peas pulao. A well stocked salad bar that even had kimchi, my favorite korean salad of seasoned cabbage leaves added to my excitement!
The dessert section was quite elaborate. I did not bother to taste the aval pradhaman since my favorite gulab jamun with vanilla ice cream was again on offer. Tarts, Rolly Polly, Dates Vada and Chocolate Pastry- all of them were equally yummy!
It took us a good hour and half to finish eating and by that time, we were so full that we could not even move! Need I say that I had to skip dinner that night?

No comments:

Post a Comment