Friday, August 28, 2009

Vietnam is not just about war!

And I found that out when I ventured into Star Anise, the Vietnamese Restaurant on Barrington Street, Halifax. I was on supper break from work (working evenings these days!) and had to grab a quick bite. There were no counters open in the Food Court and I had no choice but to visit a restaurant. Thats when I came across this one, the menu was quite economical and the place looked pretty neat and comfy.
5 minutes later, there I was looking for options for vegetarians and I finally zeroed in on Veggie Spring Roll and Fried Tofu with Vermicelli. In Oriental food, it often becomes difficult for veggies to make people understand that you do not eat meat or fish. Convincing the waiter here, thankfully, was an easy task and he said he would not mix fish or chicken stock to my dish.
The Spring Roll was awesome and went off quite well with the Hot Chilly Sauce. The Vermicelli made of rice was very close to "Sevai" (a Tamil Nadu Breakfast dish) and it was garnished nicely with lettuce, cabbage, broccoli, carrot and cucumber. Tofu was cripsy hot and made for a good bite while tucking in the Vermicelli with the veggies. I washed down the food with a glass of Mango Juice and was happy that I chose Vietnamese food and nothing else.
So, friends- there are good things about Vietnam and the food definitely is one of them! Now you know, ryt?

No comments:

Post a Comment