Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Hurricane passing off as Heavy Rain!

It was with bated breath that I was waiting for Hurricane Bill to strike in Halifax primarily because I had not seen one. I had no idea how much damage a Hurricane would cause and I suppose my excitement had gotten over my good sense since I was really waiting for a Hurricane, of all the things!
So, here I was up early on Sunday morning and watching through the window how and when Bill was actually gonna hit. BTW, I am in a harbor facing room (well, sort of!) and can see the backwaters at a distance. The effect that something like a Hurricane will have can be quite well assessed sitting on a height and staring at the water through a window. The morning was supposed to be sunny but I got up to find heavy rains lashing the city. I was up from about 8 AM in the morn and the heavy rains were continuing, so much so that none of us ventured out even to get some food. It rained till about 3 PM and things started getting better thereafter!
Bill was not supposed to hit Halifax till about 9 PM and I was waiting for night fall thinking that the heavy rains were a good pre cursor to the violent Hurricane I was about to witness at night. Unfortunately, the euphoria turned out to be short lived. It was bright and sunny by 5 in the evening and the night turned out to be a very normal Summer night for the city!
The next morning when I enquired with my good friends in Halifax, I was informed that the Heavy Rains were all that the city had of Hurricane Bill! What an Anti- climax!
I would not pine for another Hurricane anytime hearing stories about the damage that the previous one created but would be lying if I tell you that I was not disappointed with Bill especially after the many stories that I had heard! Heck, I cannot even hope for Better Luck Next Time... 

No comments:

Post a Comment