Sunday, April 6, 2008

Realization

It really helps when once in a while you come across situations in life that tells you clearly where you stand, more so, for cocky and over confident people like me. The recently concluded quiz programme at office informed me in very clear terms that I stand nowhere as regards my General Knowledge. I have always belonged to the category of people who doesn’t hesitate to plunge into any situation and encouraged by a few colleagues (my strong pillars of support) who think and work in a similar manner, I was one of the first participants to enroll for the quiz. The written test comprising of 20 odd questions was quite a shocker and it kinda told me in quite real terms that I stand nowhere. However, to my utter shock and surprise, I was selected to the semi- finals. The semi- final round had 5 teams of 2 members each and 3 of the teams were to be selected for the finals. The semi final round passed on without much ado. I could answer a few good questions and at the end of it, my team stood first. It was quite a confidence booster and I was eagerly looking forward to the finals. The day dawned and here I was, with my team mate, looking forward to battling it out with the best in office. The quiz started and within a couple of rounds, I clearly understood that it is high time I brush up my GK. My performance was hopeless and I really felt like hitting my head against the wall for the kind of bloopers I made. However, lady luck smiled on me in the form of a visual round that showed movie clippings from which the team members had to identify the movie. Here I was back in familiar territory and what helped me better was the fact that this was unfamiliar territory for the other team members. I scored royally in the round and finally, managed to win the quiz! It, however, is definitely not about winning or losing, but it is about what I have realized from the whole exercise- that I need to really brush up my GK and that I need to spend more time reading newspapers and periodicals carefully, that I need to really understand what is going on in the world around me… I had been quite a good quizzer during my school days- I had enjoyed every part of it. I feel it more of a responsibility to do well in such activities as I move forward as well. I am thankful that something like this happened to me which has caused realization to dawn on me. I am looking forward to getting myself more acquainted with the happenings around me. I should understand where I stand when I take up my next quizzing which I hope happens sometime in the near future. Till then, I am keeping my fingers crossed…

No comments:

Post a Comment