Sunday, February 24, 2008

Unsolicited SMS- Bane of the Mobile Phone

Mobile Phones have unquestionably made lives easier for us, so much so that, it is difficult to even think about how we used to survive before the mid- 90's when mobiles were something unheard of. Easier connectivity, 24/7 access to your near and dear, the facility of SMS- there are multifarious advantages that mobile phones offer. However, with the advent of mobile phones, we have come across quite a few banes as well, a prominent one among them being unsolicited phone calls and messages. In the middle of a busy day when one's mind is pre occupied with a hundred matters that need to be attended to, one's mobile phone may ring a couple of times and stop. It might show a message from an unknown number that will be pure crap. Or you may come across that anonymous caller who has all of a sudden taken an active interest in you. I am writing all this because right now I am in the middle of something like this. For the past couple of months, I have been receiving messages from an acquaintance of mine commenting on everything that is happening in my life. The fun is that the person referred to here is not completely anonymous. In fact, the person is an acquaintance, someone to whom my relationship has not extended beyond the customary "hi" and "bye". But, 2 months ago, out of the blue I started receiving messages wishing me, congratulating me, consoling me, supporting me and encouraging me on the various stuff that is happening with me. I was literally taken aback and have been thinking ever since what could have caused this sudden interest for me in that person. I have not been able to find an answer myself. I have been ignoring the messages till now eventhough at times they have been quite yuck- inducing and enraging. I really hope this menace ends soon because I know for a fact that if I start reacting to matters like this, there would be no stopping me. I have always seen, admired and encouraged the benefits of mobile phone, but thanks to experiences like this, I have been getting a taste of the flip side as well. But, for the sake of the other person, I really hope this ends otherwise I would have to exhibit the flip side of myself- something which I myself truly despise...

1 comment:

  1. Good one...Hope the "acquaintance" gets the "message"

    ReplyDelete