Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Death: The ultimate truth

You might be wondering why death is coming in every post that I am writing today. It is not without a reason- today I lost my maternal grandfather to death. He has been ailing for the past 1.5 years and has been a total wreck for quite sometime. He was 91, had lost interest in life and all of us were expecting the inevitable anytime from now. In spite of all that, when the inevitable happens, it just pushes the ones who are alive to a situation of nothingness. The moment you hear something like this, you just withdraw into yourself and lose complete sense of what is happening around you, at least for some time. I still remember that fateful 8 August 2005 when I received a message on my mobile that said- Father sinking. Start immediately. I was back in office in Kuwait after a longer than usual lunch with 10 of my colleagues. There was a lot of merry making over the lunch table and when I got back, this is what I get. I smelt something fishy and immediately called up home only to understand that my father had left all of us. It came in as such a shock that I felt I was losing my physical balance and that I would collapse sometime soon. I somehow managed to convey the news to my Manager and when I returned to my senses half an hour later, I was at my apartment with a couple of friends who had come down to help me with my packing. I had a long flight to take from Kuwait to Kochi via Abudhabi and honestly I do not remember anything from that fateful flight. I was totally in my own world, my mind completely oblivious to whatever was happening around me. I was back to my senses only after I landed home and saw my father resting peacefully in the Ice box that was brought down from the hospital. I can clearly understand what my mother would have gone through this afternoon when this news was conveyed to her post lunch at around the same time. She was dropped home by a couple of her colleagues and she was able to collect herself in much less time than I was able to. Probably, it is the age and the wordly- wisdom that one acquires over years. I completely agree with the fact that there is no point thinking aimlessly over a close one's death. Death for we all know is the ultimate truth and the only thing true about life! Whatever it be, it is not easy digesting the loss of someone really close to you, but you do not have a choice coz as the say- Life has to move on!!!