Saturday, January 2, 2010

Festivals: How Important are they?

This festival season I was more or less out of India- I left home on the evening of Janmashtami, boarded my flight to Canada on Independence Day, celebrated my 30th Birthday and Onam in Canada and am back in time for Ashtami Rohini (11 September!).







I personally did not give much importance to what I was missing since the call was taken more for work than anything else but all these came into the limelight when our client from Canada came visiting India during Onam and saw all festivities associated with it. The good soul that he is, he was worried and unhappy that I missed out on all this fun and probably, this whole visit of mine could have been scheduled differently.






On my side, I had a good time at Halifax, there is no denying that! As for missing festivals, whenever I encounter these scenarios, the one thing that comes to my mind is what my ex- Boss used to tell me- “What is there in festivals? If you have money, every day is a festival. If you don’t, you don’t care whether it is a festival or not.”






That might probably be a cruelly practical way of looking at things but considering the fact that I need a job to survive and that I am quite happy with my work and pay, I should say that is how I would like to look at things. My manthra in life is very simple- “Enjoy your work, make enough money to enjoy your time off from work. If you are not happy with work, don’t sit and whine, move out as early as you can and find out something that will keep you happy (hopefully!)






I am not sure how many will agree to me, but this is how I am and this is how I see myself to be long into the future, as well 



1 comment: