Sunday, January 27, 2008

My First Night...

Now, don't get ideas after reading the title. I just wanted to put my thoughts about having attended my first full night shift at office with my new team together here! I have never really worked a regular night shift but they have not been completely alien to me either. But, 25 January 2008, saw me take my first full night shift (11 PM- 9 AM) in my office with my new team. The reason was the technology testing that was scheduled by the client from 2 AM till 7 AM to judge the connectivity and the team's performance on the process and there I was, at 10.10 PM, waiting outside my house all set for the cab to pick me up. The first 2 hours were easy since I normally work till 1 AM at night. By around 1.30 AM, we had the entire office to ourselves and it was time for the midnight snack that consisted of samosa, vada and unniappam. It was difficult eating the oily stuff at unearthly hours but I had no other go since I had to survive till 8 AM for the next meal. As planned, the testing started around 2 AM and the next six hours (when the tendency to sleep is at its peak) went off at supersonic speed thanks to the extent of work that had to be completed. There was noise all around and my 30 member team really rose to the occassion by channelizing all their energy in completing the task on hand. We had a poori- masala breakfast at around 7.30 AM and by about 8.30 AM, we were done with what was expected of us. We were 1.5 hours late, but nevertheless, the whole affair was a memorable one for the team spirit and commitment that was exhibited by each and everyone in office! My initial thought was that my first night shift was going to be a difficult one! Fortunately for me, it turned out to be quick, easy and something I would remember for a very long time for the team spirit that was on display during the shift :-)