Sunday, June 7, 2009

Veruthe Oru Cinema!

I cannot simply stop cursing the moment I decided to add the DVD of "Veruthe Oru Bharya" to my collection and I am still wondering what is it that made me watch this crap today itself after sitting through a wonderfully made classic.

I do not know how many fellow Keralites would agree but I would say that this is the worst piece of Cinema to have come out in recent times. It is regressive, hypocritical and pseudo- intellectual to say the least and K Gireesh Kumar- Akku Akbar duo's attempts at recreating the Sreenivasan- Sathyan Anthicaud magic falls flat on its face and is a classic example of how an interesting yarn can be made into a difficult- to- sit through cinema.
The idea of the lady of the house going on a strike to teach her chauvinistic husband a lesson is extremely interesting but the hackeneyed script and the lacklustre direction disappoints. And when I say it is bad, it is so bad that you feel like hooting at the attempts of Jayaram and Gopika to pull this through. Most of the scenes are irritating to say the least and some of the highly irritating ones are- the whole sequence of the Veegaland- Kodaikanal excursion, Rahman and Ganesh Kumar putting in guest appearances as a Police Inspector and Psychiatrist respectively and trying in vain to mouth those preachy dialogues realistically, the sequences at the wedding reception of Jayaram's colleague and Jayaram's outburst at his brother- in- law's wedding reception. And mind you, these are only a few of the irritating moments!
The saving grace is that 3 odd minute song sequence with Jayaram and Gopika where the actor does a neat job of imitating different stars- from Prem Nazir to Suresh Gopi with a great degree of success. It is better you watch the song sequence on a Satellite channel than sit through this inanity! I suggest a re run of Thalayanamanthram or Sasneham, VOB is a strict no- no!!!

4 comments:

  1. But then you know what, after watching this movie, I did notice more than some similar traits in the way some of my Keralaite friends treated their wives, nothing more than glorified servants and house-keepers. Guess life is not all that rosy as we think it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not denying that. But for a movie, Veruthe Oru Bharya was a classic example of overdoing things!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not denying that. But for a movie, Veruthe Oru Bharya was a classic example of overdoing things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg. this was such a terrible movie. i read your review, and begged my family not to watch it......but alas.......who listens to me anyways?!? we stopped watching half way thru though. lol

    ReplyDelete