Sunday, June 14, 2009

Friends, Weddings and Child Births!

Weekends are turning out to be busier than ever as I and a friend of mine realized yesterday evening. Every weekend we are either smiling and getting introduced to a friend's wife at their wedding or listening patiently to another friend's experience either in person or over e mail on how difficult it is to change nappies and how irritated you feel when your slumber is disturbed right in the middle of the night with the shrill cries of your offspring! And that is not all, we do have a third category of friends- the ones who are waiting for their wives to get into the labor room and finish off that ritual- that one thing that they are all waiting for with bated breath- the arrival of their first offspring!
And here we are, the 2 of us, 18 going on 30's still wandering around the city and hitting its hip and happening joints, catching up with books and movies, discussing sports and politics and many other unprintable things with complete disregard for the families' pleas to get booked, hooked and finally (over) cooked!!! The only solace is that we are not alone, we have half a dozen more in our category- the big difference is that they want to get married and are desperately trying to find a girl of their choice but we have no such intentions as yet :-)
All said and done, it is good to share some one else's happiness and sorrows as soon as that person is interested in the kind of life he is living. I would not say that in my opinion, that is the best way to live one's life yet, I am yet to get bored with my bachelor status. In fact I love everything associated with it- the freedom of speech, action, decision making, enjoying without any bounds, not being have to be nice to all and sundry, you know, the works...These are all too important for me for the time being to make a compromise and settle into matrimony! I am a good listener to all stories that my friends have to tell me about wedding and the life after. I contribute to the multiple e mails to the group from members announcing either their wedding or the arrival of their first, second or nth offspring. I congratulate them on the occassion and make it a point to comment on the photographs. I attend all functions I am invited to but when it comes to my own life, I am yet to show the green signal! In fact, I am still showing RED and am nowhere close to even AMBER...

2 comments:

  1. Take my word for it, DON'T do it till you are ready, coz you ll end up ruining not just your life, but your wife's as well!!!

    BTW, when are you coming down here to visit the twins?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dont worry, I am in no hurry and I dont think I will ever be ready for it :-)

    I am planning Aug- Sep. Not finalized though. Hope they are doing well!

    ReplyDelete