Thursday, June 7, 2007

Some thoughts on "The Guide"

The second book which I managed to read during my chicken pox days was R K Narayan's classic love story- "The Guide." Now, please don't think that I have the audacity to review a book written by some one like R K Narayan. I am just trying to pen down my thoughts on the book. For years together, I have been fascinated by this story of Raju and Rosy, more so after watching the marvellously shot songs of Vijay Anand's cinematic version of the classic novel starring Dev Anand and Waheeda Rehman. Who can forget the immortal songs like Gaata Rahe Mera Dil, Aaj phir jeene ki tamanna hain and Piya to se naina lage re. Not that I have had a chance to watch the entire movie, but whatever I had seen of it in bits and pieces had interested me immensely. This was the reason why I picked up the Guide at DC Books, Kochi and man, what a great work it is! Starting as the story of Railway Raju, a small town guy turned petty shop owner turned tourist guide, it proceeds to become the love story of Raju and Rosy. Marco and Rosy, man and wife, bump into Raju and make use of his services as a tourist guide in Malgudy. How Raju interacts closely with the family, understands the lack of love and passion in their relationship and falls for Rosy's charm is what the rest of the story is all about. Now, Rasipuram Krishnaswamy Narayan is one of the greatest Indo Anglian writers ever, there is no question on that. What sets "The Guide" apart from his other works is the sheer progressive theme. One does not expect a writer from India, that too from the more conservative South India to write a story about a woman who leaves her husband for another man and eventually, ends up a successful dancer. One may initially feel offended at Rosy's lack of morality, but the way Rosy's character has been conceived and narrated, you cannot help but feel for her. In spite of dealing with a theme and protagonists who break every rule of the traditional Indian society of the 1950's, the narrative progresses on a very judicious note with Raju being jailed for forgery. His consequent release from jail, his travel to another village and how the people in the village mistake him for a yogi have been explained very interestingly indeed. The inevitable death of Raju in the end in a way upholds the traditional "good wins over evil" dictum too. All in all, the Guide is an extremely enjoyable book that grows on you slowly and provides the kind of pleasure that you derive from listening to slow, melodious music.

3 comments:

  1. Hey there,

    First of all welcome back to healthy days, and yes, I have started preventive medicines for Chickuguniya which is widespread in Kerala right now.

    The last 2 posts of yours have kind of inspired me to pick up the books and start reading again. Although my reading, in all probability is going to be more of an academic nature. Wish I'd read more of Brearley and Myers Finance earlier on in my MBA days.

    I get this wierd feeling that all that lack of financial knowledge especially regarding options and the like is going to come back and haunt me sometime soon and therefore, I have decided to pull these books out and read them again.

    Cheers..........Jai

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for your wishes, Jams. Do take good care of yourself coz of obvious reasons. Good that you are planning to return to academic books. I dont have any such plans for now. Should be watching Life in a Metro tonite, if yes, I would be writing my review on the movie tom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I am back in the wired (or is it wirelss?) world. Loved your thoughts on this. You have to lend me this one.
    Excellent writing Sreeram, but then I can say I knew it since I listen to your yap almost every day, over the phone now!!! ( I am not complaining)

    ReplyDelete