Sunday, June 22, 2008

A master's take on Lesbianism!

I am happy that my post on Alternate Sexuality has invited 2 strong responses, but I would still stick to my views! While the whole world today thinks it is upmarket and fashionable to openly speak and discuss about LGBTQ (Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transsexual, Queer), Kerala had a master filmmaker who could touch upon Lesbianism in a very subtle manner as early as 1985!
While many may disagree with me when I say it was an effort on the part of master filmmaker Padmarajan to portray lesbianism in a covert manner in Deshadanakkili Karayarilla through the characters of Sally (Shari) and Nimmy (Karthika), catching up with the movie recently, I strongly feel the same considering the intelligence and foresight that Padmarajan has displayed in his other films.
The shy, submissive Nimmy plays the perfect foil to the smart and fiery Sally. What happens when teenage girls are left with no one to care for them and how their rebellious nature takes them in the wrong path has been clearly depicted in the movie. It is all in the psyche and the mindset and that is what Padmarajan explains very clearly.
Shari and Karthika put in endearing performances, Urvashi as the helpless teacher exhibits a spark of what a huge talent she is out to become in future and Mohanlal puts in a restrained performance as the Bank Manager under suspension.
Padmarajan's tight script and perky dialogues add to the charm of the movie. Raveendran's mastery is audible in Pooveno and Vaanambadi. Photography and Editing complement the script well.
The manner in which Padmarajan deals with the relationship of his two teenage heroines and treats its evolution is beautiful to say the least. How they jump out of the excursion, how they manage to find job and accomodation in the big, bad city and how they lead their lives till they stumble upon Mohanlal's character- the events are very natural, the progression is in a very identifiable manner and all the characters are so well grounded and deep rooted in reality. One has to give it away to Padmarajan for having come up with such a skillfully crafted movie. The genius of the filmmaker lies in the fact that even after 2 decades, the characters are so identifiable and fresh so much so that Deshadanakkili Karayarilla is one of those rare films that is being discussed even today...

3 comments:

  1. Oh my…! It never struck my thought. Yeah… that was the thread out of which it was made.. !! I saw this movie in my childhood and some scenes still flash through my eyes! But never looked at it with your eyes.. I wonder why?!

    I love that movie.. anything from Padmarajan is close to my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i came to know this when moorthy told me... We were discussing about a later lesb movie in malayalam, with a model girl, i suppose, but i dont remember the name of the movie

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks Prabhu. I too love anything by Padmarajan. Perhaps the only movie that disappointed me was parannu, parannu, parannu...

    I dont remember any other lesbian movie in malayalam other than sancharam- which was parallel cinema. this about model lesb movie- i think we should discuss this rajath!

    ReplyDelete